A science manager position is available at the Department of Psychology (scientific director: Christian Doeller) at the Max Planck Institute for Human Cognitive and Brain Sciences in Leipzig, Germany. We are looking for someone to coordinate, in close cooperation with the scientific director, the relevant organizational and management tasks in support of the scientific activities in the Department. Our scientific focus is on cognitive neuroscience.
- You will play a central role in supporting the scientific activities of the Department together with the scientific director, research group leaders, and a team of support staff. You will be a crucial part of the senior management team of the Department.
- You will act as contact person and representative in external communication (with e.g. the headquarters of the Max Planck Society, grant agencies, the press and our many local, national and international scientific partners) and play a central role in improving our internal communication between the Department and the Institute (e.g. with administration, research coordination, core facilities, and scientists), as well as between scientific and support staff, and the scientific leaders within the Department.
- You will assist the scientific director in the process of grant applications, management and reporting, budget management, publication of our scientific results and teaching and dissemination activities, incl. social media.
- You will support our doctoral and postdoctoral researchers in the coordination of research projects and career-related aspects.
- You will help to further improve our Department’s working culture (e.g. support efforts towards increasing diversity, equality and wellbeing).
- You will support the organization of Department events, training and visitor programs, and major conference visits of the Department.
- You will lead the organization of and prepare the documents of the Department for formal institute evaluations, scientific advisory board meetings, and yearly reports.
Your profile (desired)
- You have completed a PhD and postdoctoral work, preferably in cognitive neuroscience, or related disciplines and are excited about science in general.
- You have some experience in, and a talent for, organizational and management roles, preferentially in an (international) academic context.
- Professional experience in science management would be an asset.
- You have excellent interpersonal skills and can appreciate the diverse nationalities and cultural backgrounds of the members of our Department.
- You are a team player.
- You have high integrity and are able to handle sensitive and confidential information.
- You are highly reliable and have good time management skills.
- We expect that candidates would be prepared to do national and international business trips as part of their job.
- You have excellent written and oral communication skills both in English and in German. The working language in our institute is English.
How to apply
The members of our institute come from various countries and cultural backgrounds. We highly value diversity and strive to further increase the representation of underrepresented groups. We therefore especially encourage applications from individuals that can help us further improve on creating a welcoming and inclusive work culture. The Max Planck Society is committed to increasing the number of individuals with disabilities in its workforce and therefore encourages applications from such qualified individuals. Furthermore, the Max Planck Society seeks to increase the number of women in those areas where they are underrepresented and therefore explicitly encourages women to apply.